THE IMPROVED ACCESS to Justice in the Caribbean (IMPACT Justice) project, funded by the government of Canada under an agreement with The UWI, Cave Hill, has donated 948 law books to the Faculty of Law at The UWI, Mona.
The official handing over ceremony was held on Thursday, September 8 in the Faculty Executive Seminar Room at The UWI, Mona.
The books, valued at approximately J$12 million, which have found a new home in the Law Branch Library at the Mona Campus, cover topics such as gender equality, human rights and the environment. The donation falls under the expansion of Legal Databases component of the
The five-year regional justice sector reform project seeks to improve access to justice for individuals and businesses in 13 Caricom territories. The project, which is being implemented from within the Caribbean Law Institute Centre, Faculty of Law, The UWI, Cave Hill Campus, will:
• draft legislation needed to further the objectives of the CSME and the OECS Economic Union and to assist Caricom Member States in implementing their legislative agendas
• train legal drafters to increase the pool available in the region
• improve the accountability frameworks for the legal profession such as code of ethics and disciplinary and accounting procedures
• establish a framework for continuing professional education for members of the legal profession
• conduct a survey of legal education in the region to provide governments with information which can be used to shape policy
• upgrade and expand legal information databases such as Carilaw, WILIP Online and the Caribbean Law Review Online to make the law of the region more accessible to legal researchers and others
• increase knowledge and use by citizens of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) mechanisms, including mediation for settling disputes in a timely and cost effective manner. (ADR mechanisms have long been used to increase access to justice by reducing the backlog of cases already before the courts and stemming the flow of new case
|Professor Archibald McDonald||Dr Camille Bell Hutchinson||Director of Marketing, Recruitment and Communications Office:|
Dr. Carroll Edwards
|Cassandra Brenton||UWIMONA Now is produced by the UWI’s Marketing, Recruitment and Communications Office.||UWIMONA NOW Marketing, Recruitment and Communications Office, |
Assembly Hall, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica.
Telephone: (876) 977-5941, 977-7346
Copyright © 2017 UWIMONANOW Online Publications